Thursday 11 April 2013

hanging out with other witches


If you've acquainted yourself with me on Youtube, you will know that I'm a super solitary practitioner. Like many others, my journey with paganism and witchcraft has been a bit of a lone ranger experience and, aside from being well-read, there hasn't been much input from other witches to shape or explore my path. This is ok by me. When it comes to magick, ritual and the celebration of the wheel of the year, I know where I am and I know where I'm going. But let me just say, for the record - it's been marvellous to be out and proud online. I've experienced an incredible sense of community from the Pagan Youtube crowd. Through opening my shop and starting this blog there has also been a lot of exposure to other witches, their points of view and their lives. I have stopped to think this afternoon about how much these fresh lines of communication have enriched me.

'Apart but together' is how I'd term it. The internet has given us a way to connect without infringing - a way to invite without being invaded. I am by no means 'anti-coven' and I appreciate that many witches have found their most essential spiritual experiences within the bounds of the coven life. But the internet has given those of us who are comfortable in solitary modes of practice the chance to hold each other's hands, strengthen each other and offer the benefit of each other's knowledge without changing the way we do things in the circle (if indeed you even cast one).

I have learned so much in the past year. I feel more spiritual than I've ever felt before. I never realised how validating and illuminating it could be to share my experiences with other witches and to hear their voices in a chorus of debate and conversation. Sure, there are downsides - there are downsides with everything. But you get to choose where to put your energy and what to focus on. I choose to focus on the positive, and that's been the right road for me. I know that some witches who've been a part of the online community for a long time have had their reasons to step away, to re-evaluate and even, at times, to say goodbye. I can appreciate that. A witch is usually someone who's in tune with their energy and who's great at realising when something no longer resonates with them. But for now, I'm really happy with what I've put 'out there' and what's come back at me. And I want to thank every single person who's made that possible.